If you haven’t already made a New Year’s resolution, why not make one that you and your family can smile about? This year decide to improve your family’s dental health. New Year’s resolutions can be as easy or as hard as you make them. Setting a goal of good dental health is easy and it can benefit you and your children’s overall health too.
The key to success with any new habit is to not start with a big goal, but something you can work into your daily routine that is easy to do and makes you feel better. For example; brushing one more time a day, adding flossing to your routine, or using a mouthwash after meals. One small change in your dental routine will create large improvements in your dental health and the health of your children.
By following these simple tips, you can easily maintain good oral health all year long.
- Brush your teeth at least two times a day. Brushing your teeth properly removes plaque from the surface before it hardens into calculus. For children be sure to supervise or help them with brushing their own teeth until they reach eight years old.
- Use fluoride toothpaste. Using toothpaste with fluoride helps to prevent tooth decay and remineralizes areas where decay is starting.
- Change your toothbrush every 3 to 6 months. Also change your toothbrush after having the flu or a cold.
- Floss your teeth daily. Flossing is the only way to remove plaque from in between your teeth that a toothbrush can’t reach. Children are not able to floss properly and will need help until they reach nine years old.
- Use a mouth rinse. An antimicrobial mouth rinse can provide extra help in controlling plaque.
- Eat healthy meals and snacks. Good nutrition is an important aspect in maintaining good dental health by avoiding sugary drinks and sticky sugary foods.
- Visit your dentist for regular check-ups. Routine dental cleanings and examinations are the best way to make sure that your teeth and gums stay healthy throughout the year.
If you and your family follow these simple tips, you can have a great smile. In addition, you gain the satisfaction of knowing that you are accomplishing your New Year’s resolution of achieving good dental health!
Kasi Franck DDS